Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Part 2: Paths to Freedom

To outline the initial steps and efforts that might individually be made as society struggles to transition from democracy to freedom--

Understand Freedom

Our first step toward freedom is to recognize that democracy is in fact a society founded on principles of aggression.  Yes, it is true that the Constitution proclaims individual rights and sovereignty, but unfortunately it also legitimizes majority rule, which tramples the very same.   And as pointed out earlier, prosperity cannot come from aggression.  If we want to live free from the devastating effects of aggression, we must understand that we must free our society from the chains of democratic rule.  

Vote to Roll Back Government Power
If enough of us understand and embrace the principles of individual sovereignty and inalienable rights, there is nothing that we can’t accomplish at the ballot box.  If every vote is aimed at reducing the power and jurisdiction to government to naught, there is nothing to keep the aggression of democracy from being but a memory.  However, this is an extraordinarily difficult task requiring nothing short of a miracle.  Metaphorically, it is equivalent to Aladdin having to choose to use his first wish to set Genie free, not his third, which is miraculous enough.  If we are to set government free from the magic lamp of democracy, we must willingly give up all of the entitlements and pleasures that government promises to present.  And we must decide today, with our first wish, to set Genie free.  If we pretend to wait until our third, in hopes of collecting promised entitlements or future favors, the spell will never be broken.  As John Lewis once said, “If not us then who, if not now then when?”  We must dig down deep, not merely deep enough to give up what the government has promised to us, but also to give out help to those who will stand in need in the absence of government coerced charity.

Exercise Civil Disobedience
When the consent of the governed is peacefully and intelligently denied from an abusive government, a very important victory is won.  In so doing, the individual has reclaimed their divinely endowed sovereignty and exposed the injustice of a forceful hand.  However, it is critical that judgment and discretion be used to match the gravitas of such a demonstration with society’s capacity to bear it, otherwise the heroism is soon to be forgotten as our hero rots behind bars or beneath a grave, being branded as a criminal.  Refusing to blindly obey and humbly submit  to injustice is the most powerful weapon against tyranny, as Gandhi proved to us.

Run For “Public Office”
All honest jobs can accurately be considered to be public office as any legitimate good or service benefits society as a whole.  A janitor who cleans toilets in a paper mill helps to make the plant operators that much more productive, and thus printing that much more affordable, and thus the dissemination of printed information that much more efficient, and thus real wages for everybody that much higher.  Democracy falsely considers public office to be separate and apart from healthy economic activity, a powerful post that can either be filled by a self-sacrificing patriot or a self-serving career-politician.  It is folly to assume that public office is necessarily separate from a productive career.  When the real comforts of our modern life are contemplated, who is really to blame? Is it politicians or entrepreneurs?   Sitting in a leather chair while soaring through the clouds, or instantaneously communicating for free via video chat, or enjoying fresh bananas from Ecuador in your home in Lost Springs, Wyoming, all this came from those who are really serving in public office.

3 comments:

  1. So what is a reasonable risk in terms of civil disobedience? Give me an example.

    Would you consider working for a non profit/cause-like working at a food bank or something-working in public office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody's personal definition of reasonable risk is surely slightly different, and so I take it to be a rather fluid concept. Generally speaking "reasonable risk" would be anything this side of the boundary that marks physical danger. In other words, I believe I have journeyed too far if I am tasered or jailed.

    A personal example: I refused to give my drivers license at a road block and check point. I politely explained to the officer that I would not comply with a practice that violated the Constitution -- namely the Fourth Amendment.

    He went on to explain that he wasn't searching me, but merely asking me for my driver's license. I said, "Okay, I'm not giving it to you. Thanks anyways."
    "Well, in that case, I'll have to take you over to secondary," he said. His speech slowed to a more thoughtful pace, "They'll have to search you and your vehicle."
    "And what if I refuse to let them unlawfully search me?"
    "Um...take you in I guess."
    I had arrived. This was my line in the sand for reasonable risk. I reached for my wallet and handed the officer my license. I had been violated, but at least I now knew that he knew it.
    My approach would have been more complicit if the officer had not been so patient, or more aggressive if the threat of "secondary" were more delayed. I would say this is much more art than science. The goal is to awaken minds to true principles of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as non-profit-causes go, these could be good. However, if such a cause is at all funded by government, I can't bring myself to support it.

    ReplyDelete